CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Shoulda been a slacker

I'm supposed to be editing a paper. But as I stare at my own words on paper and compare them to the comments my professor has written, I can't help but think, "I really shouldn't have put so much work into my first draft." Last year I wrote a paper on juvenile life imprisonment in the context of the Roper v. Simmons holding and made the argument that a prohibition on such life sentences should be a logical outgrowth of the Supreme Court's recent decisions. When I wrote that paper, I put a crazy amount of work into it, handed in my first draft, and the professor said it was so good I didn't need to make any changes to it. At the time, I thought that was odd, but I didn't complain. Who needs more work to rain down on them right at the end of the semester? I'm not entirely sure why I expected lightning to strike twice. This year my paper is on the dual sovereignty exception to the prohibition on successive prosecutions, and again, I put a crazy amount of work into my first draft. Therein lies my mistake. As I sit here trying to figure out how to improve on what I've already written, I find myself utterly unwilling to expend the necessary effort. My ideas have already taken shape and I don't want to change them, and I sure as heck don't want to add to them!! Not to mention my annoyance at having to renumber my foot notes. But that's the problem with turning in a reasonably well developed paper as a "rough draft." When you turn it into a professor who actually bothers to read and think about what you've said, he is inevitably going to come up with things you can change. If I had been a smart person, I would have turned in a craptastic rough draft, so that any changes I made to it would seem drastic and well-reasoned by comparison. Why didn't I do that? I think the only answer is one best said in a monotone drone and accompanied by a blank stare. "Post spring break 3L." So, who wants to edit this thing for me?

0 comments: