CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 1, 2010

Oooh, shiny!

As I was checking out my hair in a mirror today, something I do quite frequently on days when I don't just wear it in a ponytail (you know you fret about your hair too, so don't judge), I noticed something out of the ordinary. My hair and I have a long and tortured history. It's too curly, too poufy, too thick and it can clog a drain like nobody's business. And it happens to be one of my best features. Go figure. But while I may not have any particular affinity for the size of my hair (it's large), I have always loved the color. I made the mistake of bleaching my hair once when I was in college, and I was so horrified at the result that I resolved never to mess with the color of my hair again. Today I noticed that the light over the mirror was reflecting on a particular strand of my hair that seemed most out of place. My first thought was, "Oooh, shiny!" But then I realized it wasn't highlight shiny. Oh no. This strand was tinsel shiny. I gave it a tug, thinking it surely couldn't be attached, but it definitely was firmly connected to my head. When I was in law school, my hair fell out by the handful, but it never went gray, like I half expected it to. Evidently it wanted to save that particular transformative act for later. Like right now. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that. My first inclination was not to go out and buy some hair dye, so I guess that's good. I decided after seeing "The Devil Wears Prada" that I wanted to rock a perfect silver coif like Meryl Streep, and neatly sidestep the hair coloring that seems like such a futile attempt to cling to youth. However, I did not think I'd be faced with the possibility of rocking that look in my twenties. Seriously, hair, what is your deal? I'm too young for this!

4 comments:

andrea said...

trust me, I'm there with you. I think the years for stress starts to wear on one self and so the beginning of gray hair. I'm trying to get better about the stress but it isn't working because I'm still seeing gray strands here and there.

Meradeth Houston said...

haha! I hear ya--the first time I found a few grays, I almost cried. Now I have two that are right in the middle of where I part my hair, and they stick up. Always. Makes me nuts!

Jordan said...

I've had gray hairs since 2006, I think it makes me look distinguished!

Katie said...

I've started to notice some gray hair every now and again. Of course, I pull them out. I really don't want to have to start dying my hair already.