My darling spouse happens to be a registered Republican, while I myself happen to be aligned with the Dems. Not to worry, politics are not a sore spot in our relationship. Anyway, as we were standing in the kitchen sifting through the mail, Scott pulled out this letter from the RNC and proceeded to read it aloud. No small feat, since the letter was several pages long. As he read phrases like "nation in peril, "socialized medicine," and my personal favorite, "rescue our future from the Liberals," I felt my annoyance level tick upward. I could only shake my head at the proud reference to the 2010 midterm election that swept many new Republicans into office, but the convenient omission of the fact that Congress's current approval ratings are at an all time low. I was not surprised to see the RNC trolling for donations, but it slightly infuriated me to have that kind of extreme, untempered, fear-mongering right wing propaganda make its way in my home. As Scott neared the end of the lengthy diatribe about how our nation is going to hell in a handbasket because the liberals are ruining absolutely everything, I wondered what Scott's reaction would be. Though we find ourselves in differing political camps, we're both moderate enough that our views are pretty much the same on most issues. After finishing the letter, Scott let out a mirthless laugh and proceeded to tear the letter into pieces. I held out the return envelope, (which the RNC had presumptuously included for the collection of donations that would surely come rolling in in response to the inflammatory solicitation) and Scott dropped the shredded remains of the letter into it. I've always known I married an incredible man, but at that moment, it became readily apparent that my selection was pretty much the marital equivalent of winning the Powerball.
Sunday, February 26, 2012
You've got mail
My darling spouse happens to be a registered Republican, while I myself happen to be aligned with the Dems. Not to worry, politics are not a sore spot in our relationship. Anyway, as we were standing in the kitchen sifting through the mail, Scott pulled out this letter from the RNC and proceeded to read it aloud. No small feat, since the letter was several pages long. As he read phrases like "nation in peril, "socialized medicine," and my personal favorite, "rescue our future from the Liberals," I felt my annoyance level tick upward. I could only shake my head at the proud reference to the 2010 midterm election that swept many new Republicans into office, but the convenient omission of the fact that Congress's current approval ratings are at an all time low. I was not surprised to see the RNC trolling for donations, but it slightly infuriated me to have that kind of extreme, untempered, fear-mongering right wing propaganda make its way in my home. As Scott neared the end of the lengthy diatribe about how our nation is going to hell in a handbasket because the liberals are ruining absolutely everything, I wondered what Scott's reaction would be. Though we find ourselves in differing political camps, we're both moderate enough that our views are pretty much the same on most issues. After finishing the letter, Scott let out a mirthless laugh and proceeded to tear the letter into pieces. I held out the return envelope, (which the RNC had presumptuously included for the collection of donations that would surely come rolling in in response to the inflammatory solicitation) and Scott dropped the shredded remains of the letter into it. I've always known I married an incredible man, but at that moment, it became readily apparent that my selection was pretty much the marital equivalent of winning the Powerball.
Posted by
The one who writes stuff
at
12:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Love it! My facebook feed gets filled with certain family member's comments along the same lines of how Liberals are killing the nation and it makes me want to rip my hair out. Thankfully I've converted R to the dark side. Muahaha.
Post a Comment