The sky is a bizarre color right now. I'm not sure what to make of it. It's neither slate nor ashen...not even black. I think the right word is blue, but that just doesn't seem right. In February in Oregon, the sky should always be some variation on rainy. There's a tree outside the law school building that I noticed today on my way home. It stood out to me because it's rapidly turning pink. Could it be that winter is actually loosening its death grip on the land? It's a possibility. Time marches on. I came home today and actually had some extra time, which I fully intended to devote to studying for the MPRE. Instead I found myself reading a book of letters my dad had compiled for me of our correspondence while I was in Spain. It was a good opportunity for me to reflect on life. It's so full of ups and downs and quite often it just passes by while we're busy doing whatever it is we do. I've already mentioned before that my life has been somewhat of an exercise in survival mode recently. The fact is that I've been that way for about two years now. I'm so focused on surviving law school that everything else has taken a backseat. My theory is that I can get on with life once I cross this minor endeavor off of my "to do list." I know there is much to look forward to, not just after I graduate, but even now as I press on in my schooling. But sometimes I wish I could hit rewind and take life in reverse for a while. I miss being a missionary and having the clarity and perspective that comes with knowing exactly what your purpose is. I miss being an intern, with the self imposed sense of accomplishment that came with working in an important sounding job in the nation's capital. I miss summers at home with new friends and old, having random adventures at pointless jobs. I miss being a crazy, irresponsible, and sleep deprived college freshman, having all the fun random adventures that one can only have while living away from home for the first time. I'm absolutely positive this post has no point whatsoever. I think it's just that I've had a lot of wonderful experiences in my life and I've done pretty much everything I've set out to do, with law school being one of the last major stragglers on that to do list. It is by far the most grown up endeavor I've undertaken and by far the least fun. I think my point is I've really had a blast getting to where I am, but if law school is the tip of the adulthood ice burg, I don't think I really want to grow up.
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
Five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes and quarterlife realizations
Posted by
The one who writes stuff
at
5:55 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Wow thanks for the trip down memorylane :-)
I know you hate country music but it reminds me of a song by Tracy Lawrence called TIME MARCHES ON....
How I wish I could go back in time to when you and I would sit on the swing at the park and I would sing to a song call Turn Around..
It goes something like this
Where are you going, my baby, my own?
Turn around and you're two,
Turn around and you're four,
Turn around and you're a young girl going out of my door.
Turn around, turn around,
Turn around and you're a young girl going out of my door.
Where are you going, my little one, little one,
Little dirndls and petticoats, where have you gone?
Turn around and you're tiny,
Turn around and you're grown,
Turn around and you're a young wife with babes of your own.
Turn around, turn around,
Turn around and you're a young wife with babes of your own.
I love you Becca you are my every dream come true...
Mom
Post a Comment