It's nearly two months into the new semester. This semester started out with quite a bit of promise; my grades fall semester were the highest yet, I even managed to write a high paper in one class...the one I was sure I failed. Go figure. It reminds me of my undergraduate paper theory, how grades are inversely proportionate to effort and crappy papers are always ahead of the curve. Of course starting a new semester means starting from square one. Painfully lame. And in the brief time I've been back, I managed to take on way more than I would ever care to handle in an entire year. I think my rationale was that if I got all my extraneous activities out of the way in the first two months of the semester, I'd have time to get caught up during the last two months. What was I thinking? Last month it was a mock trial competition, this month it's an appellate competition, writing an appellate brief, teaching a two hour seminar class on children and crime, and studying for the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam. Next month I have to take the MPRE, write my third year paper (I know, I'm only a second year, but I'm taking the class now, so I have to write the paper), and judge rounds in the First Year Appellate Competition. I sat down with my schedule and tried to decide when I would have time to start my outlines and the next opening in my schedule is spring break in March. Two weeks after that are finals and then the year is over. I'm up on the downside, and the law school experience is once again changing shape. The first semester was an adventure: everything was new and exciting, and even though it was a little scary, I was "living the dream" which made it all worth it. The second semester I felt my attention span begin to falter. Classes dragged, my incidence of solitaire playing went up, and I found it hard to really get into any of the subject material. Third semester was drudgery. With school and work, I had zero free time and even less motivation to press on. And here we are, in semester four, and I find myself just going through the motions, nothing more, nothing less. School is no longer fun, new, exciting, or even scary. It's just today, tomorrow, the end of the week. Survival mode is no way to live, but this isn't really life. This is just one more year.
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment