With all the free time that accompanies a hiatus from school, you would think that I would have loads of time to maintain my blog. I'm pretty sure the only excuse I have for the lack of updates is that I am a slacker. I can live with that. Wow, so it's been a little over a month since I put my sweatpants back in my closet, and I have to say summer is treating me quite nicely. I took a few days off between the end of finals and going back to work full time, which was perfect for staying in my pajamas and...reading. I know what you're thinking. I do. "But Becca, you just spent the last semester reading everyday until your eyeballs bled, so what's so why not find something else to do with that precious free time you had?" I appreciate your concern for my wellbeing, but reading fiction and reading cases is akin to drawing a comparison between a leisure walk and a death march. It's a stretch. So thanks, Lyndsey, for the loaner. In keeping with the abysmal state of the economy, Scott and I decided to get our literary fixes the cheap and easy way by finally getting library cards. I'm nerdily psyched about it and must say, my first library check-out, "The Assault on Reason" was thought-provoking.
And then it was back to work. I have to say, the first few days of babysitting new clerks was more fun than it should have been...mostly because I got to sound like I knew what I was talking about. It continues to be fun because I now get to hand off the more distasteful assignments to them, while I focus on preparing for and making court appearances. Which is awesome. Now that I'm actually able to get out of the office and into a courtroom, I'm beginning to think I might really want to be a lawyer. Amazing how that works. Add to my newfound sense of purpose at work a generous pay raise and life is good.
But you know how life can be better? By throwing in a vacation. Yay vacation! Scott and I took a weeklong roadtrip down to San Diego and back, and it was loads of fun. We visited old friends, relatives, warm beaches, and roller coaster nirvana: Magic Mountain. Have I ever mentioned how much I love roller coasters? It's a whole lot. We were sure to hit every single coaster in the park, and it was fantastic. Definitely the highlight of the trip. Other highlights included getting wonderfully lost on the way to the beach at Santa Monica, having a film crew set up shop right next to us on said beach, visiting the Newport Beach temple, nearly dying on multiple occasions at the hands of insane drivers, and the monsoon we encountered at the San Diego Wild Animal Park. I thought we left Oregon to escape the rain. Seriously though. But it was such a wonderful week! Road trips are always fun adventures.
Upon returning to good old Salem, I was delighted to find that grades had been released, yes an entire month to the day of my last exam, and the consensus is that perhaps I don't suck as much as the actual exams would have me believe. Highest law school GPA yet. That's always a good feeling. Just two more semesters to go. I've developed a daily habit of browsing potential job opportunities and daydreaming of the not too distant future when my sense of self worth is no longer tethered to a grade point average, which is probably more as a testament to my severe and early onset senioritis than desire to join the real workforce, but I find it to be a powerful motivator for those times when I start to recoil at the thought of going back to school. And that's the long and short of it.
Yes, all is well and right with the world when summer vacation is in full swing. I'll try to update more regularly, but no promises. After all, I'm on vacation!
Saturday, May 31, 2008
Summer loafing...
Posted by
The one who writes stuff
at
10:32 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You're blog is so funny to read! nice update! Lovely to meet you the other week! Cheers to vacations and summer breaks!
You almost look like you're relaxing and I have NO IDEA how to process that image.
Post a Comment