CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Now what?

As one year has given way to another, not too many people were terribly broken up about the passing of 2009. After all, it was a year marred with dismal economic news, all too familiar political bickering, terrorist scares, and a general sense of malaise permeated the country. But I was extremely sad to see 2009 end, mostly because, for me, 2010 is little more than a giant question mark. There are no more academic milestones on the horizon, no major hurdles to overcome, no "next big thing." Looking back at a post from one year ago, it's obvious that there was so very much going on in 2009, all of it amazing. Law school graduation, check. Passing the bar exam, check. Getting licensed to practice, check. Living accommodations upgrade, check. Europe trip, check. Not going back to school in September, double check. Moving? Yes. New car? Absolutely. I'm starting to worry that I crammed too much awesomeness into the past year, if that is even possible. In this season of resolution making, I've been thinking a lot lately about my 5 year plan. It doesn't really exist anymore because I did everything on the list, but somehow neglected to update it as I went. So here and now, new five year plan. In the next five years I will be out of private practice and back in public service. I will be out of student debt. I will own a home. And I will to go back to the east coast, even if it's just for a visit. That's the big picture. Little picture goals include more time spent studying Spanish, continuing to stay in shape, more reading for fun, and more diligence in journal keeping. Things have been amazing up to this point, and 2010 is my blank slate. Bring on the new year!

3 comments:

Meradeth Houston said...

What? No little ones in your goals? (Yeah, couldn't resist :)

The one who writes stuff said...

I have a hard time making that one a goal. If and when it happens, it would be more along the lines of an "oops."

michelle said...

Seriously, Now What? I'm already feeling restless thinking that I need to make some big change in my life this year or need to have something big I'm working towards.