CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Do one thing every day that scares you

I'm a good 3 months removed from my very first court appearance. Every Monday I put on a suit, go into court, and represent the State of Oregon. It's a pretty sweet deal. It has solidified my stance that even though I loathe law school, I'm pretty sure I will love practicing law. Even when things go wrong and I'm shooting from the hip, and almost positive I look like an incompetent student, I'm almost never scared of being in the courtroom. That might not be the case tomorrow. I was recently approached by an attorney in our section who had decided I'd paid my dues as a clerk and that I should start becoming a lawyer. Sounds good to me. She informed me that I had earned the right to be her second chair at trial. Tomorrow I'll start out with my very own witness to question, and gradually work up to more and more, stacking up loads of all that great experience that looks so impressive on a resume. I'm excited, but this also scares me. Right now there are a million things going through my head, ranging from the reasonable (I've forgotten everything I ever learned in Evidence...what are all the exceptions to hearsay?!?) to the irrational (What if I screw up so bad the judge bans all clerks from sitting second chair from here on out? You laugh, but it's happened) to the downright ridiculous (Flats or heels? And if I wear heels, what if I stumble on the way back to my seat after offering up an exhibit?). In my experience handling prima facies, I've been hard pressed to screw up really bad because the process is so utterly non-threatening, plus there are no other attorneys from our office to see if I'm not getting things absolutely right. Tomorrow it's going to be another story entirely. I'm not sure if I'm more scared of looking like a moron in front of the judge and opposing counsel, or looking like a novice in front of the attorney who is taking a chance on me. Okay, it's definitely the latter. Here's to not screwing up.

2 comments:

michelle said...

You're so smart and quick that I have no doubt you will be awesome. This lawyer thing is definitely your element.

andrea said...

wish you the best of luck!!! take luck, take it care for it! you will do just fine, you've worked so hard that i know you will be the best you can be and it will be fine.