And it's a terrible time to be entering the job market. I remember being in college back in the good old days of 2006 and thinking, "Wow, the economy sure isn't looking so hot, it's a good thing I still have three more years of school to ride it out." That was before "bailout" and "stimulus package" rose to the stature of worn out buzzwords they currently enjoy. When the housing market meltdown began its torturous run, I was quite glad that we lived in a ghetto fabulous apartment because the word "foreclosure" didn't have anything to do with us. When the pox spread to the credit market, I thought "Whew, at least I already have taken out all the loans I need for the time being." Then our 401K started its plunge into the abyss, and suddenly the bad economy started to actually mean something to me. And now the already precarious situation worsens. As the day of my final graduation draws ever nearer (87 days!) I find myself more and more disturbed by the reality that I am graduating into a world awash with lawyers but scant on jobs. And this terrifies me. I'm leaving the realm of academia with an obscene amount of debt, despite my best efforts to limit my exposure to loans. Every day that I drag myself to campus for a night class after a full day of work, I have to remind myself that every hour I work means less money I have to borrow to pay for things like oh, I don't know, books ($100+ a pop). Bar review course (upwards of $3000). And who could forget the bar exam itself. Which incidentally costs $650, not including all the hidden fees associated with having background checks and obtaining driving records. $650 to take a test? I remember taking the LSAT and griping over the $100 they charged me for that. It just seemed so wrong to be charged to have other people inflict on me horrific torment. Oh wait, that's law school. But yes, massive debt, pathetic job prospects, and overall anxiety is beginning to set in. I attended a career fair last week, applying to every single organization that was interviewing 3Ls, (which was only like 6 out of 50), only scored 2 interviews, and they were not promising. I'm getting mighty tired of hearing things like, "Blah blah blah, budget cuts, blah blah hiring freeze, blah blah, maybe after you pass the bar, blah blah blah, economy in the toilet, blah." I've been sending out resumes and interviewing as much as time and opportunity permit, but it's been one rejection after another and at this point, there are really only 2 left in the pike. Just knowing that is stressing me the heck out. I think the most soul crushing disappointments thus far have been the jobs where I apply, make it past the first cut, get my hopes up, possibly get past the second cut, and then get shown the door with a polite thank you for your time. I cling to the illusion that things will work out if I'm patient, but I'm the type of person to whom patience comes neither easily nor naturally. I want to know NOW where I'm going to be working after I pass the bar. I want to know NOW just how long it will take to pay off my loans. I want to know NOW that I can start planning on moving from my grad student digs into something a little more grown up. And I want to know NOW that all this misery to which I have subjected myself for three long years will someday (sooner rather than later) pay dividends. Basically I'd really appreciate a little stimulus to my economy in the form of a job offer.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Wow, this didn't dampen my hope for a job when I graduate much! Just go for the FBI, that way you get to carry a gun and say "I'm agent Wareham-Portlock with the FBI"
Your last paragragh...the "now" paragraph...that is EXACTLY how I feel. Everyone keeps telling me it will work out "eventually." Eventually?? What does that mean? I just busted my ass for years to get through school so I could get a real job and pay my bills and now...nothing. It is unbelievably frustrating and discouraging and I curse every person who is even somewhat responsible for this recession.
Post a Comment