I am a 3L. With this distinction comes burnout, bar-related anxiety, job hunting stress, and general malaise, for which the only cure is to sit back and ride out the rest of the storm. I also like to think that at this point in my law school career, I should be afforded the right to participate in class discussion only when it suits me. Really, haven't I earned this right? There are a great deal of professors at my school who respect and honor this unspoken arrangement that exists in classes comprised primarily of 3Ls. And while the fear may exist that wholesale abandonment of the Socratic method will result in professor-centric lectures each class period (heaven forbid should they actually work for their paychecks), there is never a lack of students who choose to raise their hand and contribute their endless parade of insights (some more inane than others) to whatever the topic of discussion happens to be that day. The system works, and all are benefited. But not every professor is acquainted with the voluntary participation rule. I'm looking at you, Crim-Pro-professor-who-also-happens-to-be-Canada's-worst-export-since-Shania-Twain. Normally when I come to class, I am prepared. I spend copious amounts of time everyday, hunched over my law books in the library as the fluorescent lighting sucks the life from me, and I am arguably able to contribute to class discussion, if I were to feel so inclined. But that's just it. I never feel so inclined. Ever. This doesn't mean that I am not learning. And yet some professors feel the need to drag me into the dialogue, in what is becoming an obnoxiously all too frequent event. Two weeks ago I was in the cross hairs for pretty much the duration of my Crim Pro class. I assumed that this would have earned me the right to be off the hook for at least another month, if not the rest of the semester. Not so, says she who controls the attendance sheet. Today went something like this...
Me: (quietly playing solitaire, half listening to the discussion on plea bargaining, but mostly thinking about how glad I am it's finally Friday)
Professor: "Let's see, who haven't I bothered for a while? Uh...you?"
Me: (eyes raised slowly) "Mmmmmhmmmmm?"
The Class: (low rumbling giggles at first, rising to outright laughter as people turn and actually see the look of unabashed annoyance on my face).
Professor: (nervous shifting as she realizes the laughter isn't at my expense but at hers) Uh, tell me about this case...?
Me: (Poorly suppressed sigh of disgust as I contemplate reminding her that it really hasn't been all that long since she called on me)
I then proceeded to minimize my solitaire game and review my notes on the case at hand. I gave a brilliant pithy exposition of the facts and the holding, all while realizing that I prefaced every sentence by saying "Basically." "Basically the judge gave the defendant the impression that he wasn't going to get a fair trial in that particular courtroom." "Basically the ABA standards suggest that judges should not be involved at the discussion level of plea negotiations, even though they have wide discretion in sentencing." "Basically I can't believe you're calling on me. Again." The prof tried to throw a few curve balls, but I have learned from bitter experience that she runs her class like a 1L class, so I have dusted off the practice of preparing like a 1L. This entails painstakingly briefing each case, anticipating every possible question, and actually reading the dissenting opinions on the off chance that the professor asks me about my take on that too. For the love of all that is decent in this world, I don't have the energy anymore to deal with confused professors who think they're teaching 1L classes. So stop calling on me!
Friday, February 27, 2009
Cue disgusted sigh...now
Posted by
The one who writes stuff
at
3:59 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment