CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 14, 2010

Language barriers

The sun is shining brightly through my office window, and has been interfering with my concentration all day. Toward the end of the day, I got a phone call from an insurance adjuster about a complaint I recently filed, asking me how much time I had billed on the case thus far. Drat. Another case heading for settlement before I even get a chance to get my hands dirty. So far I have a perfect record of getting cases settled. I guess no one wants to fight me. I put the adjuster on hold to inquire of the boss how much time he had on the case before it came to me, and then picked up the call to the adjuster to let him know how much fees are going to be. After telling him what my time was going to cost him, I waited for the response, but there was only silence. I thought for a second that we had been cut off, but the line didn't go dead, so clearly there was still someone on the other end. The secretary then piped up that I might have picked up a call she had put on hold, which was with a Spanish speaking client. Sure enough, when I said the client's name, he confirmed that I had picked up the wrong line and was duly befuddled at why I was going off in English about something that had nothing to do with him. The adjuster got a good laugh when I told him the reason for his extended wait on hold, and assured me that it's Friday. It happens. It surely does. Can I have my weekend now??? Please?

0 comments: