My iTunes is on shuffle right now, and the chorus of the current song keeps repeating the phrase "Is anybody waiting at all?" As it turns out, the answer is yes. Scott's grad school apps have been in for almost a month, and we're at that point where responses are trickling in. So far, the tally is one yes (from a safety school) and one no (from the reach school), and Scott has two interviews scheduled for next week. Starting off with an acceptance is the most overwhelmingly relieving thing about the whole process, even if it's a yes from a safety school. It means that you are for sure going on to grad school, which takes some of the pressure off. I remember well what it was like to get a yes right off the bat. Huge sigh of relief. And with more schools indicating "maybe" by inviting Scott to interview, a sense of excitement is definitely there at the possibility of having multiple options to ultimately choose from. It's pretty fun to see Scott so thrilled about this newest adventure. I admit, I'm a little excited too. But with 5 more schools yet to respond, things are still utterly up in the air. My way of dealing with situations beyond my control is to make a spreadsheet, crunching the numbers and weighing the strengths and weaknesses of the schools that are still in the running. Ridiculous, right? I know. Especially since it's me, and not him that is agonizing over the numbers. He thinks it's hilarious. Maybe it is, just a little. But seriously, higher education really is ridiculous. You pay a ton of money just to get the admissions committee to look at your application, you spend weeks of stressful anticipation waiting to find out if those schools are going to give you the privilege of giving them even more money, and inevitably there will be schools that determine that even though you are perfectly willing to give them tons of your money, they aren't going to waste their time inundating you with knowledge. And this is even before you set foot on campus for the first time. Wow. You would think that one year out of grad school, I'd be at least a little less jaded about the whole experience. Nope. The song playing now describes how I feel about school. I...Hate...Everything About You. And I'm not the only one that feels that way. Grad school makes people worse versions of themselves. I really hope MBA Scott isn't anything like Law School Me. Maybe that's my real apprehension about this whole situation.
Saturday, May 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Just wanted to say "ditto." School sucks. (Applying for jobs at the moment is worse, but whatever, it pales in comparison to the years of torture I've spent at Davis.) Best of luck to Scott!
No. You are not the only one that thinks that about grad school.
Post a Comment